Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Thanksgiving Weekend


For those who don't know, turkey is non-existent in Japan. If I remember correctly, the group of us gaijin who did make a Thanksgiving dinner had to buy chicken. We had school on Thursday, then prolly fucked around for the evening, or went out, as was common for the few of us who would actually go out, instead of going out just to drink, or staying in and drinking. The reason for me writing this? There is no Thanksgiving in Japan.

There is Thanksgiving in America. You wouldn't think that would surprise or *gasp* throw off anyone, but after a year living somewhere else, it can. I lost track of holidays in Japan. Veterans Day, Memorial Day, Columbus Day, etc... I forgot about them/the day they were on/the month they were on. I knew Thanksgiving was in November, but with how fast these months since being home have gone by, I was shocked to realize that, not only is Thursday Thanksgiving Day, but next week starts December. As of December 1st, I have class till the 10th, then 1 more year stuck here before I can make my way home. But that is another story for another time...

Thanksgiving then. It isn't that I don't like to see my family, I just don't care for the attention/bullshit/bitching. Being a new arrival from Japan to some of my family, questions are usually the first thing I get. That is ok, since I love talking about Japan, but it is when I know they are asking because they have to, that I cannot stand. I love the food, though. My Grandmama is a wonderful cook. Like amazing. Thanksgiving is turkey and gravy and turkey sandwiches and a nap. Christmas and Easter are polisausage and ham days. I love it.

It's just odd to be spending this Thanksgiving with blood family, not with one friend walking around an old castle. *sigh*

No comments: